Government of India has proposed to establish New Medical Colleges to promote and enhance Medical Education as well as to minimize the shortage of doctors in the country.
Under this scheme, it was proposed that Government of MP will establish a Medical College at Chhindwara for 100 M.B.B.S students admissions annually.
For this purpose District Hospital Chhindwara which is functioning as multi-specialty 426 bedded Hospital is being upgraded to 600 beds which will more than fulfill the norms of the Medical Council of India.
The objectives of the Chhindwara Institute of Medical Sciences, Chhindwara are as follows:
- To create doctors fully trained with knowledge, psychomotor skills, communication skills, and correct attitudes to serve ailing humanity in India, or anywhere across the world. The basic aim will be for all round personality development of each student.
- To create an atmosphere in the campus conducive to attainment of academic excellence by the students.
- To create a research oriented faculty which can contribute to scientific knowledge in various disciplines of Medicine.
- To create research laboratories for the attainment of the objective No.3.
- To build up a curriculum for under graduate students in line with Medical Council of India guidelines and to monitor the implementation.
- To encourage development of new and innovative ideas in Medical Education.
- To run various post graduate and PhD courses in various disciplines of Medicine.
- To develop/design/run new courses as part of advances training in Medicine.
- To conduct examinations for MBBS and other courses in health sciences.
- To organize workshops, seminars, symposia, conferences, etc in any of the disciplines in Medicine or allied subjects.
- To encourage the development of other institutions in allied health sciences and to help govern their proper functioning.
- To address the health needs of the community in and around Chhindwara District.
- The governance of the upgraded District Hospital into a Medical College Hospital will be to create a tertiary health care centre fully equipped to provide advanced health care to serious patients in various Medical disciplines.
- To promote the idea of preventive and promotive health amongst the citizens.
- To contribute to the Medical human resource development in Madhya Pradesh and the Country.
- To contribute to the implementation of various National Health Programs.
- To provide leadership in health policies and health planning in the state and the country.
- To carry out epidemiological studies, monitory and surveillance of diseases prevalent in Chhindwara and surrounding Districts.